Alresford Golf Club is one of the oldest golf clubs in Hampshire having been formed in 1890. It started out as a 9-hole course situated on the chalky downland to the south of Alresford which is still used for today’s course.
In 1912 the golf course was extended to 18 holes but with the start of the First World War part of it was ploughed up and returned to agricultural use so the course went back to 9 holes in 1916. It stayed like this until 1953 when alternative tees were brought into play so that there was a different line and/or length for the second visit to each hole. It added variety to play and reduced wear and tear.
The new 18-hole course, which we now play, was opened in 1993 and it includes some of the original holes. The greens on these old holes, of course, have been upgraded to modern specification.
From the beginning the Club hired rooms in the Cricketers Arms for use as its clubhouse and this state of affairs continued until 1953.
However, in the years following the war the Club was faced with serious financial difficulties. If it was to survive it had to have its own clubhouse with no rent payable and be able to take the profits from the bar. So an old railway carriage was purchased and placed on the course and with the earnest endeavours of many volunteers was transformed into a cosy clubhouse.
This temporary solution lasted until 1970 when a new and modern clubhouse was opened on the present site.
Throughout its history Alresford has played an active part in the county golf scene and has hosted many county matches and tournaments at amateur and professional level. Alresford members have held many important posts in golf administration in Hampshire and further afield.
In 1992 member David Harrison became President of the English Golf Union – only the second Hampshire player to be honoured in this way. In 2003 David moved to even higher office when he became Chairman of the General Committee of the R&A and joint chairman of the International Golf Federation. In 2008 he enjoyed the highest acolade in amateur golf when he was elected Captain of the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews.
In 2010 he was awarded an OBE for services to golf in the New Years Eve Honours list. The award recognised the enormous amount of work that he had undertaken on behalf of the sport regionally, nationally and internationally over the years.
David Harrison OBE